Poisonous Plants

Spring is nearly upon us! All the flowers will be starting to bloom - but do you know which ones to keep your dogosaur away from?

Daffodils - Effects from poisoning can include vomiting, stomach upset and salivation, but can escalate to dogs appearing sleepy, wobbly on their legs, or collapsing. In more serious cases fits and changes to heart rate, body temperature and blood pressure. Dogs can also become unwell if the flowers are eaten, or if water from a vase containing daffodils is drunk.



Tulips - The toxins found in tulips cause irritation to the mouth and gastrointestinal tract and usually only result in drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea. Serious cases are rare, but effects could include heart problems and breathing difficulties.


Spring Crocus - These flower in spring and are said to be of low toxicity and may only cause a mild stomach upset if eaten. These bulbs are not to be confused with autumn crocus, which flower in autumn and can cause severe stomach upset, kidney and liver problems and bone marrow depression.


Tomato Plant - Eating the leaves and stems can cause stomach pain, weakness, difficulty breathing and slow heart rate. The actual tomatoes are okay so long as they’re ripe.


Rhododendron - All parts of a rhododendron bush—the leaves, stems and blooms—are toxic to dogs. Only a small amount of rhododendron is needed to cause health problems if your dog eats part of the plant. Small dogs will typically experience more severe toxic effects than large dogs eating the same amount.


Foxglove - Foxglove are very poisonous to dogs, cats, and even humans! Foxglove contains naturally-occurring poisons that affect the heart.


Dog's Mercury - There is not all that much known about the toxic substances within the plant, but we do know that dogosaurs shouldn't be eating it!


The Yew tree is also very toxic and, later in the year, don’t let your dogosaurs eat horse chestnut conkers or acorns. And of course be wary of wild mushrooms.

If you're ever in doubt, call your vet for advice - don't risk it!

There's plenty to enjoy in the woods though - and you could try taking your dogs favourite toy or a few treats and playing search and find in the forest, to distract them from munching on things they shouldn't!