The Don'ts Of Your Diplodogus' Diet

There are quite a few food stuff's that we as dog owners need to be aware of as they can cause harm to our beloved dogosaurs. Some of them are well known, but some may surprise you, so check out this list for food NOT to give your dog...


Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol. It can cause your dog's blood sugar to drop and can also cause liver failure. Some peanut butter brands now use this as a sweetener - so make sure you only ever give your dog unsweetened if you're going to give them any (though you shouldn't be feeding this in excess anyway).


This one I only learnt recently - avocados have something called persin. It’s fine for people who aren't allergic to it. But too much might be poisonous to dogs. If you grow avocados at home, keep your dog away from the plants. Persin is in the leaves, seed, and bark, as well as the fruit.



Pretty obvious this one... alcohol has the same effect on a dog’s liver and brain that it has on people. But it takes a lot less to hurt your dog. Just a little beer, liquor, wine, or food with alcohol can be bad. It can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, coordination problems, breathing problems, coma, even death. And the smaller your dog, the worse it can be.

Onions and Garlic

Onions and garlic can kill a dogs' red blood cells, causing anaemia. That's even the onion powder in some baby food. A rare small dose is probably OK. But eating a lot just once or can cause poisoning. Look for signs like weakness, vomiting, and breathing problems. Interestingly - garlic juice in small amounts can be a natural antiseptic for your dog - you can put it on cuts to prevent infection. I can tell you first hand that it works, and I have never known a dog to react badly to it.

Coffee, Tea, and Other Caffeine

Watch out for coffee and tea, even the beans and the grounds. Keep your dog away from cocoa, chocolate, colas, and energy drinks. Caffeine is also in some cold medicines and pain killers. If you think your dog has accidentally had caffeine, watch for restlessness, fast breathing, and muscle twitches.

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. And just a small amount can make a dog sick. Vomiting over and over is an early sign. Within a day, your dog could get sluggish and depressed.

Milk and Other Dairy Products

In small amounts, dairy can be OK, but try not to make it a habit to give your doggo lumps of cheese as a treat. Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhoea and other digestive problems for your dog. They can also trigger food allergies, which can cause itchy, irritable skin.

Macadamia Nuts

Keep your dog away from macadamia nuts and foods that have macadamia nuts in them. Just six raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make a dog sick. Look for symptoms likemuscle shakes, vomiting, high temperature, and weakness in the back legs. Eating chocolate with the nuts will make symptoms worse, maybe even leading to death. So no macadamia and chocolate cookies for your dogosaur!



Most of you will know that chocolate is bad for your dog. The problem in chocolate is the bromine. It's in all kinds of chocolate, even white chocolate. The most dangerous typesare dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. Chocolate can cause a dog to vomit and have diarrhoea. It can also cause heart problems, tremors, seizures, and death. 

Peaches, and Plums

The problem with these fruits is the pits which can block the intestines. They also have cyanide, which is poisonous to people and dogs. Apple cores have the same issue. People know not to eat them. Dogs don't.

I also wouldn't recommend feeding your dogs pork. This is because pork is very fatty and salty, and aside from those 2 being an unhealthy combination anyway, salt can be very dangerous to your dog in large amounts, causing issues with the pancreas and digestive system.

I have also seen loads of dogs suffer from wheat allergies. If you are feeding your dog on dry food and you've noticed red or itchy skin, particularly on the pads if you have a long-haired breed, it may be an allergic reaction and the first thing I would suggest is switching to a grain-free kibble (or a raw diet -even better!). If you want to stick with dry - James Wellbeloved, and Canagan are good brands. 

Try to keep your dogosaurs away from any treats or kibble that are a bright colour as well. This is basically like giving them smarties. Brightly coloured dog food will have all sorts of added preservatives and sugars that are no good for your dog, and as well as affecting their health it is also likely to make their behaviour worse - so if you have a hyper active, crazy dog that you're feeding Bakers or Wagg - try changing the food, you may see a positive change.

There are, as always, exceptions to the rules. I have had people tell me before that their dog used to eat grapes all the time and it didn't affect them. I once knew someone that (to my horror) used to feed her dog chocolate as a treat! But why would you risk it? Sure, your dog might be OK but what if he isn't? Is it worth the risk? There are so many healthy treats out there that you can still spoil Fido without hurting him. Obviously don't spoil him too much though as being a chunky munky isn't healthy either!

Please get in touch with me with any questions - I feel very passionately about dog health and am more than happy to offer advice where I can.